Here are some words I've had to look up recently:
1. Saturnine: Melancholy or sullen; Having or marked by a tendency to be bitter or sardonic.
2. Louche: Of questionable taste or morality; decadent.
3. Palimpsest: A manuscript, typically of papyrus or parchment, that has been written on more than once;with the earlier writing incompletely erased and often legible.
4. Noisome: Offensive to the point of arousing disgust; foul.
5. Pernicious: Tending to cause death or serious injury; deadly;Causing great harm; destructive.
6. Toadying: A person who flatters or defers to others for self-serving reasons; a sycophant.
7. Horripilate: The bristling of the body hair, as from fear or cold; goose bumps.
8. Triturated: To rub, crush, grind, or pound into fine particles or a powder; pulverize.
9. Pullulated: To put forth sprouts or buds; germinate; To breed rapidly or abundantly; To teem; swarm.
10. Peregrinations: To journey or travel from place to place, especially on foot.
11. Styptic: Contracting the tissues or blood vessels; astringent; Tending to check bleeding by contracting the tissues or blood vessels; hemostatic.
12. Moribund: Approaching death; about to die; On the verge of becoming obsolete.
13. Mendicants: A beggar; A member of an order of friars forbidden to own property in common, who work or beg for their living.
How many of these words did YOU know?